Sunday 7 May 2017

30 Days of Accessiblity Testing | DAY SEVEN


Day 7. Unplug Your Mouse, leave your touchpad alone and navigate using the keyboard.

So, I did that, and then I started trying to write this blog.
This first thing I realised was that I couldn't remember how to toggle between tabs in chrome.
Then I went into my blog editing homepage and found the link for ministryoftesting30days challenge, and that was all pretty easy.
Starting a new post and pasting into it was also quite easy.
I normally change the font to Arial. I cannot figure out at all how to get focus onto the edit controls so that won't happen today.

I decided at this point to do another task. Also by this point I'm doing everything with only my right hand as I was also holding a reluctantly sleeping baby.

I decided to copy four folders of photos on a windows to an external hard drive and then onto my mac. The windows part went fine but ejecting was tricky. I just unsafely unplugged like the dangerous rebel I am in the end.

Copying the photos from external hard drive to my  mac was harder. Finder was VERY hard without a mouse. I had to select using the trackpoint. I tried about 10 key combinations before I gave in but in the end enough was enough.
Moving the images to where I wanted was obviously not going to happen easily.

Starting spotify was a problem because my virus checker always pops up, which is normally fine but can't be closed without mouse intervention. Or at least not in any obvious way.

Okay, trying to navigate spotify app on my laptop with only a keyboard made me almost lose my sh*t. I gave up. I used the trackpad. I know, I'm the worst.

SUMMARY (not a heading because I CAN'T GET TO THE SODDING OPTION WITHOUT A TRACKPAD)

I thought this was going to be easier than it was. I thought I used my keyboard a great deal but clearly not. This was a seriously frustrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment