Monday 1 May 2017

30 Days of Accessibility Testing | DAY ONE

Accessibility testing is not something I'm good at. In fact more acurately it's something I know very little about. When i saw that Ministry of Testing had a new 30 days coming up I thought I'd give it a go.
https://dojo.ministryoftesting.com/lessons/30-days-of-accessibility-testing
Now, full disclosure, due to my current personal circumstances I may take some days off, I'm forgiving myself for this now. But I will try and do every one of the exercises in some way eventually.


Day 1. Learn about the diversity of disability and the affects of aging

So, basically I haven't had a load of time today but I did read the following article

https://the-pastry-box-project.net/anne-gibson/2014-july-31

and it has made me think about the following things on a new piece of software I'm testing.

Making internal software, it's very easy to fall into the trap of "There's noone on that team who's blind so we can ignore accessibility.' Of course, I already knew that was entirely bunkem but reading through this list has given me a number of relevant questions. 

1. Does anyone who is using it have dyslexia, or reading issues?
2. We have many users for whom english is their first language, should we consider this?
3. There is an interesting scroll issue that we thought can be solved with a control button, how practical would this be for someone who cannot use two hands at the same time?
4. For people with attention issues, is it going to be obvious to them what stage they are up to in a process?
5. Do we have any directions or error messages that include left and right or presume a certain way of using the software that could be a problem?
6. How well will the software work if people zoom in because they cannot see clearly, for any reason.

If the only thing I do is go back and look at the list in the link occasionally to see how it relates to what I'm currently working on, that will be an improvement. Hopefully it will improve the software we're making, or at least, when I examine the software with these questions in mind it will be an interesting exercise.  And that may improve my happiness and that’s really all that matters in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment