Thursday 4 May 2017

30 Days of Accessibility testing | DAY FOUR

Okay, we're on Day Four,
https://dojo.ministryoftesting.com/lessons/30-days-of-accessibility-testing

4.Research the benefits of inclusive design.

Inclusive design. Okay, I have no idea what that is, so I did some reading and watched a couple of videos. I have to be honest, I only spent an hour or so because I wasn't blessed with abundance of time to spend on this today.
So I looked at a couple of pages. Some of which I really just skim read.
https://www.w3.org/WAI/users/
http://www.inclusivedesigntoolkit.com/whatis/whatis.html

On the second link I got some good take-away points. So firstly, according to a Microsoft survey (admittedly in 2003) only 21% of people have 'No disability', and it's more of a scale rather than a simple black and white. Okay, that has me thinking a bit more about how really, is accessibility really just usability with a wider understanding that people are all different. Also it makes me ask questions like, how much do I trust this data considering it's over ten years old, doesn't tell me how many people it's sampling or really any thing at all about their sampling and is Microsoft, who I obviously inherently distrust.

I had to parse the section on 'Universal design' a couple of times, and then I realised it states at the end, that due to the nature of the web, Universal Design and Inclusive design are effectively the same in that situation.

I wonder how as a tester I can use inclusive design, especially considering the things I currently work on don't really have any UX design. Although, then it got me thinking that maybe it's my job to ask the kinds of questions relevant to inclusive design, because there's no-one else to ask them? Hmm, interesting.

Also I watched this

Inclusive design and testing: Making your app accessible - Google I/O 2016

https://youtu.be/SOZwfQO4rVM
This may be trying to sell a google product but some of the things they talk about are quite interesting.

Also as part of watching this video I got distracted when I learnt about refresh-able braille displays, which I didn't even know were a thing. Although at way over 2 thousand dollars a piece, it's clear why they aren't a thing tonnes of people are designing for yet. https://youtu.be/IIQNhFpbbEI

So maybe in summary I was a bit unfocussed today and may have not definitely achieved the goal today that well. However I believe I learnt some new things about accessibility, and I had fun doing it and really that's the only thing that matters in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment