Wednesday 3 May 2017

30 day of accessibility testing | DAY THREE

https://dojo.ministryoftesting.com/lessons/30-days-of-accessibility-testing
Day 3. Share your favourite accessibility testing tool.

I have to be honest, I don't really have one. Currently I don't do an awful lot of accessibility testing, which is largely why I'm doing this '30 days' malarkey. So I don't think if I was to say I have one it would be that genuine. What I'll do instead is list the few I currently use

Spectrum Chrome Extension

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/spectrum/ofclemegkcmilinpcimpjkfhjfgmhieb?

I threw this at the ministry of testing homepage and it looked okay.
I also took a look at amazon.co.uk, facebook and the independent websites too and they all looked fine. Maybe I just don't know what I'm looking for, I'll admit normally what I'm looking for is whether focus is clear.  Maybe if I do day 15 and 18 I'll get better at this.

Chrome Vox


Browser based screen reader. To be honest I haven't used it an awful lot, only for about an hour a time on a handful of occasions, but I don't find it that easy to use. I think I may just need to train myself on it.

THE KEYBOARD

My understanding is that number of accessibility issues can be highlighted if you just use a keyboard and try doing without a mouse, which can be tricky for a good number of accessibility reasons. I do hope this is true or I'm just deluding myself. In my experience a great number of 'power users' just use the keyboard so it's good for usability reasons as well.

Looking for suggestions for other software or even hardware to try out for accessibility testing; comment below (I think I have comments enabled) or tweet @allcapstester 


No comments:

Post a Comment