Saturday 6 May 2017

30 days of Accessibility testing | DAY SIX

Day 6. Learn about assistive technologies, and share one you liked (hardware).


Okay, so in my Day 4 post I got excited about refreshable braille displays and mistakenly thought I'd never heard of them before. Of course that isn't true, Matt Murdock uses one on the Netflix series Daredevil and therefore as my wife pointed out, not only had I heard of one, I'd seen one in use. Stupid Dave.

Okay, so back on track for today, I found a couple of resources 
http://abilitynet.wikifoundry.com/page/Head+Tracking+and+Pointing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assistive_technology
https://www.atia.org/at-resources/what-is-at/

I decided that instead of writing about one I'd try and just briefly list an A-Z of assisted Technologies. Some of these are hardware, some are software, some are not necessarily Web related or particularly technology related but I thought it would be fun. And I really struggled for some letters so please just forgive me, I stretched a little. Also, I threw in the fun game of missing two letters out because I was just done trying to crowbar anymore in. 


A Standing desk

Braille watches (seriously look these up, they're really cool. I have to admit I looked into them because of this blog post http://www.theothermurdockpapers.com/2009/09/assistive-technology-in-daredevil/
Coloured overlays (for dyslexia primarily)
Dvorak Keyboard
Enlarging (or Enbiggening as someone I used to work with refered to it as, I wish that was a word) ability on software
FM listening systems 
Gel pads (for mice and keyboards)
Head trackers and pointers
Joysticks
Keyboards of all shapes and sizes 
Left handed mice (I understand that lefhandedness isn't a disability)
Magnifying glasses
Note taking software
Other assistive technologies such as speech to text software 
Puff and sip. (or as it's normally known, Sip and Puff) 
Refreshable braille display
Screen Readers
Tongue control
Unusually big screens 
Voice recognition software 
Workstations designed for standing up.
Xtra buttons on mice for extra functionality 
You've heard of speech recognition right?
Zooming in functionality

No comments:

Post a Comment